NRA High Power Rifle Matches

Find out what's going on and how to get involved.

Re: NRA High Power Rifle Matches

Postby Sam Summey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 pm

Polk County Gun Club concluded the COVID-19 abbreviated 2020 NRA High Power Rifle Season last Saturday, September 19, 2020.
In total we successfully completed 2 matches, July and September. The weatherman cancelled the August match by predicting doom and gloom rain.

Last Saturday could not have had more perfect weather, temperature around 61 degrees all day with overcast skies. We had a competitor/visitor Harold Mauck, from Hutchinson, Kansas. Harold is working on his "bucket list" by competing in a High Power Rifle Match in every state of the Union. Harold picked Polk County Gun Club for his match in North Carolina. He expressed appreciation for allowing him to compete at PCGC and he also expressed delight for the hospitality he was shown by PCGC Members and the camaraderie. As he left, Harold said that next time he is in NC he would like to return and compete with us.

Haley Robinson was the overall Match Winner with a score 789-34x.
1st Master was Harold Mauck with a score of 763-20x
1st Sharpshooter was Sam Summey with a score 713-6x

Greg Ficklin announced that he would be holding the CMP Military and Modern High Power Rifle Clinics the third Saturday Starting in October throughout the Winter months concluding with the Annual Frozen Chosin Korean War Commemorative Match in February. These clinics are a great way to learn the basics of high power rifle competition.
Attachments
September 2020 Match Report.xls
Sept. HPR Results
(104 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
Last edited by Sam Summey on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 am

Polk County Gun Club opened our 2021 High Power Rifle Competition Season with our (non-sanctioned) annual club match The Frozen Chosin Commemorative last Saturday February 20. The weather was what would be expected for February (for a change) 25 degrees and quite windy throughout the day. The temperature climbed into the low 40s later on. The match was intended to be shot on the electronic targeting system but the batteries failed on the computer (due to the cold) that is used to control the system. We had to run the match using the old standby system of "walk and paste". There was 11 hearty souls to participate, Patrick McCraw showed up to compete with a Mauser 1898 (circa 1902) shooting the old style open Mauser sight. Patrick certainly gave everyone a "run for their money" including Ken Lore (Match Winner 363-5Xs/400) with his 2nd place performance (346-1X/400). Jim Laietta finished 3rd (338-2Xs/400). Most competitors shot M1s, Russ Templeton shot a CEMTNE.
Attachments
DSCF0162.JPG
Ken Lore Winner
DSCF0163.JPG
Modest Patrick McCraw
DSCF0154.JPG
2021 Frozen Chosin Competitors
HP Frozen Chosin 2021..pdf
2021 Frozen Chosin Results
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Last edited by Sam Summey on Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 am

Polk County Gun Club 2021 Match Schedule
Attachments
PCGC 2021 High PowerRifle Schedule.pdf
(114.09 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Sun May 16, 2021 4:51 pm

First I will start off by apologizing to last month's (April) competitors, I just forgot to post the match bulletin. This month's posting will include both results.

Yesterday, May 15th 2021 turned out to be a beautiful day. Our attendance was somewhat depleted due to the Colonial Pipeline shutdown of the fuel supply for the East Coast of the US.

Again, like last month we had some outstanding scores posted.
Attachments
May 2021 Match Report.xls
May match report
(103.5 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
April 2021 Match Report.xls
April Match Report
(84 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 am

On Saturday June 19,2021 PCGC held our NRA Service Rifle match. It was a beautiful bright day with tolerable temperature. The Silver Mountain Targeting System functioned better than ever without any significant delays. We had some problems with a couple of electronic viewing devices but they were not associated with the SMT System. I encourage everyone who has one to bring their own Tablet with fully charged battery. I have an 8 inch I-pad and it seems to be large enough for my 73 YO eyes to see enough detail. We had one full relay of 10 members and concluded competition by 11:10 AM.

I want to congratulate one of our Juniors Ethan Fullam (his second match at PCGC) for an outstanding performance picking up 4 percentage points giving him a solid Sharpshooter score. The coaches and Jr members put in quite a lot of time in practice and their performance in PCGC and competition at Camp Butner is certainly evident.

Below is posted the match results in .pdf and Excel format.
Attachments
June 2021 Match Report.xls
(104 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
June 2021 Match Report.pdf
(40.93 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:50 pm

Saturday July 17, 2021 PCGC held our Monthly NRA Service Rifle Match. A beautiful but a typical summer day 92 degrees with a slight breeze from the NE. We had 12 competitors, 6 adults and 6 of our Junior Marksmanship Team who are all heading to The CMP National Matches at Camp Perry, OH. I am sure there are several of the adults will also be heading to Camp Perry too. It was good to see Page Arrington and Nelson again shooting with us. A congratulations is in order for Sarah K. for attaining a Master Classification, she also performed well this weekend.

Below is listed the Match Report for July.
Attachments
July 2021 Match Report.xls
(105.5 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
July 2021 Match Report.pdf
(41.46 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:11 pm

August 21,2021 PCGC held the Monthly High Power Service Rifle match. The weather was beautiful calm 84 degrees. We only had 6 competitors this month several of our Junior Competitors were absent due to school related commitments. The Silver Mountain Electronic Targeting System was spot on with only one glitch that Greg Ficklin easily remedied, (antenna went south on my target). Everyone enjoyed the day and fellowship with each other. Ken Lore (Hickory) was the match winner, Ken has been a faithful competitor with PCGC for the last few years. Ken is planning a "fund raising" match in October 1st or 2nd weekend supplement a disabled law enforcement officer in his area. I'll get more info and post it on this web site in the coming month.

Another announcement is that PCGC High Power Service Rifle Match will be held on September 25 instead of September 18 to accommodate a scheduling conflict with the IBS benchrest National Championship Match to be held at Piedmont Gun Club.
Attachments
August 2021 Match Report.xlsx
Excel format
(68.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
August 2021 Match Report.pdf
pdf format
(40.04 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Sam Summey

Postby Sam Summey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:13 am

One thing I failed to mention is: Greg Ficklin will be conducting CMP Garand, Springfield, Military (GSM) (Wood Gun) Matches beginning the third Saturday of October and will be conducted every month on the third Saturday until February "Frozen Chosin" Commemorative Match. The dates are: October 16, November 20, December, January 15, February 19. These matches are usually 30 shots with sighters before each match. The "Frozen Chosin" will be a 50 shot match with sighters before each match. All matches will be held at 200 Yards. This is a great way to get an introduction into high power rifle competition.
Sam Summey

Previous

Return to Current Events