Spring Trap League

Find out what's going on and how to get involved.

Spring Trap League

Postby Missed Again » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:25 pm

3rd PCGC Trap League

Ladies and Gentlemen of Polk County Gun Club:
I am pleased to announce the start date for the 3rd Polk County Gun Club Trap League. On March 21st of this year, we will commence the league. This league will be open to all members, Claybusters and folks that are currently on the membership waiting list.
The league will last a total of 12 weeks, starting March 21st and conclude on June 6th. It will consist of shooting 12 rounds of 16 yard trap for a total of 300 targets. Shooters can shoot one round or several in a single day, it is entirely up to the individual. Also, league rounds can be shot any day of the week when the trap fields are officially open. The only stipulation is that there must be an “acting” referee present to log and score the round.

Shooters must “declare” when they will be shooting a league round. Forgetting to call the round for league prior to the start will disqualify that round for inclusion. League rounds must be witnessed and scored by a “referee”. The referee needs to keep score/s on an official score sheet, with their name, signature and date after the completion of the round. It is imperative that any league shooter should be indicated on the score sheet with a circled “L” before their full name. While scoring, a missed target should be called “LOST” immediately. Also, scores of the league shooter/s should be called out after every 5 targets shot, to prevent later confusion or disagreements. Disputes should be resolved immediately, with final word given by the referee. Score sheets must
be turned into the League Chairman. If the club office is not open, please deposit score sheets in the pavilion mailbox. Depending on the number of shooters who participate, the league will consist of at least two classes. The highest averages of the top half of the league will comprise the “A” Class and the lower half averages will comprise the “B” Class. If there is an odd number of league shooters, the additional shooter will be placed in the “B” half. Running averages will be posted every two weeks. The final weeks’ results will decide the outcome of the league. It behooves all league shooters to complete the entire 12 rounds. If a shooter fails to complete the league in its entirety, their scores will be computed based only on those targets shot at.

As a trapshooter who has participated in many prior leagues, it is strongly recommended that there be a nominal fee to participate. Although not entirely necessary, this definitely keeps the league more interesting. Suppose there are 30 shooters who agree to a $5.00 entrance fee. That means the first three place finishers of both “classes” would win a purse. First place winners of either class would win $35.00, second place would win $25.00 and third place would earn $15.00. The more shooters that participate, the pay-outs naturally get larger. If a shooter decides not to participate in the purse, they can opt out and shoot for bragging rights alone. It’s entirely up to the individual shooter.

The purpose of the league is to promote the sport of trapshooting. It also encourages the less proficient to become better shooters and possibly prepare for a try at full registered competition. In 2016 and 2017, PCGC hosted their first ATA recognized events in many years. From a club standpoint, they were well received by all who attended and we were able to put some money into the club treasury. It is our intent to host future ATA events in 2020 as well. The trap committee will advise on a future date. As mentioned earlier, a trap league is a great way to start the competitive ball rolling.

Finally, as League Chairman, I will be available to answer any/all questions related to this endeavor. Either see me at the range, email or give me a call.

Best regards,
Ken Flanagan
Cell: 860 918-1851
Email: kennethflanagan37@gmail.com
Missed Again

Spring Trap League - Getting Started

Postby Missed Again » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 am

The 3rd Trap League commenced Saturday the 21st at 10:00 AM with 22 shooters joining the league so far. Seventeen squads were run through Field 1 and activities broke up around 3:15. I don't think I have ever seen that many squads go through one field since I've been a PCGC member. Many good scores were shot and we had trap shooters from both South and North Carolina expressing their thanks and appreciation. A special THANKS go out to Naomi Cantrell for sharing scoring duties and the many members who helped with loading targets and keeping the house full.

As you know, the league will continue until June 6th, or 12 weeks after commencement. The intent is for all shooters to shoot 12 league rounds, at their convenience but completing all 12 by June 6th.
Still lots of time to sign up and be part of the league so come on out and enjoy the excitement and camaraderie of this popular shooting sport. Hope to see you at the field!

Respectfully,

Ken Flanagan
kennethflanagan37@gmail.com
Cell: 860 918-1851
Missed Again

Spring Trap League 2020 Results

Postby Missed Again » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:14 am

The 4th PCGC Trap League was concluded on June 27th, 2020. Out of the original 28 entrants, only 19 finished the 12 round contest. Of those 19 shooters, 18 had paid into the purse.
The top 9 shooters (Class A) had finishing averages of 24.01 (Dave Laliberte congratulations), number two was Brandon Cantrell with 23.66 and third place went to Noah Young. Steve Parris also ended with 23.58 average but by reverse count of the last four rounds shot, Noah bested Steve by 1 target. Noah shot 99 and Steve shot 98.
The next 9 shooters to complete the league (Class B) had averages that ranged from 22.50 (Steve Woods congratulations), Scott Pace with a 22.0 and Ian MacDonald with 21.33. On a congratulatory note, all 19 finishers completed the league with averages above 20.08. Very commendable!

Payouts are as follows:
1st place Class A and B, Dave Laliberte and Steve Woods each receive $35.00.
2nd place Class A and B, Brandon Cantrell and Scott Pace each receive $20.00
3rd place Class A and B, Noah Young and Ian MacDonald each receive $15.00

For those who would like their winnings mailed, please send me your address and I will forward to you. Otherwise, purses will be available when I am at the club.

A listing of final averages will be available for viewing after June 28th at the club pavilion. My congratulations to all who joined our 4th event and special recognition to all who finished the league. Special kudos to our Class A and B winners!

Best regards and stay safe until the next league.

Ken Flanagan
Missed Again

Return to Current Events